High-performance, anti-efflorescence, quick-setting and drying polymer-modified mortar with water-repellent DropEffect® and mould resistant BioBlock® technology for grouting joints from 2 to 20 mm wide.
Mapei Ultracolor Plus
£5.18 – £44.73
- Additional Information
- Reviews (0)
- Technical Characteristics
- Application Procedure
- Data Sheet
Mapei Ultracolor Plus
Fast setting, mould-resistant and water-repellent. For interior or exterior use on dry or wet areas, timber floors and underfloor heating. Colour coordinates with Mapei Coloured Solvent-Free Silicone Sealant range. Colourfast.
Anthracite, Beige 2000, Black, Brown, Caramel, Cement Grey, Chocolate, Crocus Blue, Golden Dust, Jasmine, Limestone, Manhattan 2000, Medium Grey, Moon White, Mud, Sand, Silk, Silver, Space Blue, Terracotta, Tornado, Vanilla, Volcano Sand, White, Yellow
2kg, 5kg, 23kg
Ultracolor Plus is a mortar made up of a blend of special hydraulic binders, graded aggregates, special polymers, water repellent admixtures, organic molecules and pigments. With Ultracolor Plus, the Ultracolor technology based on a special, self-hydrating-hydraulic binder which guarantees perfect colour uniformity, by two innovative technologies which are the result of MAPEI research: BioBlock® and DropEffect®. BioBlock® technology consists in special organic molecules which, by distributing themselves evenly in the micro-structure of the joints, block the formation of micro-organisms that cause mould damage. The DropEffect® technology, with a synergic effect, reduces the absorption of surface water. When it is mixed with water in the proportions recommended and correctly applied, Ultracolor Plus forms a grouting mortar with the following characteristics:
- Water-repellent and droplet-effect.
- Uniform colour and free of staining since Ultracolor Plus does not produce efflorescence. From an analysis carried
out using an electronic microscope (SEM), note that, compared with a Portland cement-based binder in a normal cementitious grouting mortar, the special cements in Ultracolor Plus do not generate the calcium hydroxide (hydrolysis lime) crystals which cause efflorescence during the hydration process.
- Colours resistant to ultra-violet rays and atmospheric agents.
- Short waiting time before cleaning and easy finishing.
- Ready for light foot traffic and for use after a short period of time.
- Smooth, compact finished surface, with low water absorbency for easy cleaning.
- Shrinkage compensated, therefore free from cracks.
- Optimum resistance to abrasion, compression and flexural strength, even after freeze/thaw cycles, and therefore optimum durability.
- Good resistance to acids with pH > 3.
- Ultracolor Plus does not contain Portland cement and must not be mixed with gypsum or other hydraulic binders; never add water to the mix once it has started to set.
- Never mix Ultracolor Plus with salty or dirty water.
- Use the product at temperatures between +5°C and +35°C.
- Carry out grouting only on substrates which are sufficiently dry or have been waterproofed, to avoid a whitish film forming on the surface.
- In order to avoid an uneven colour finish, we do not recommend sprinkling Ultracolor powder onto the filled grout joints.
- When resistance to acids or, where extreme cleanliness or sterile conditions are required, use a suitable acid-resistant epoxy grout.
- Expansion and movement joints on walls and floors must never be filled with Ultracolor Plus. Use a suitable flexible sealant from the MAPEI range.
- The surface of certain tiles or stone material may have micro-porosity or a rough surface. We recommend carrying out a preliminary test to check how easy it is to clean the surface where necessary to apply a protective treatment to the surface, to ensure the grout does not penetrate into the surface porosity of the tiles.
- If an acid-based cleaner is used to clean the joint, we recommend testing the product beforehand to check the resistance of the colour. Always make sure that the joints are thoroughly rinsed down to avoid leaving traces of acid in the joints.
Preparing the Joints:
Grouting may take place when the adhesive is completely set. Make sure that the waiting times indicated in the technical data sheets are followed. The joints must be clean, free of dust and empty down to at least 2/3 of the thickness of the tiles. Any adhesive or mortar which has seeped into the joints while laying the tiles must be removed while still fresh. With very absorbent tiles, high temperatures or windy conditions, dampen the joints with clean water.
Preparing the Mix:
While stirring, pour Ultracolor Plus into a clean, rust-free container containing 21-23% by weight of clean water. Mix the grout with a low-speed mixer to avoid air entrainment, until a smooth paste is obtained. Let the mix stand for 2-3 minutes, and stir again briefly before use. Use the mix within 20-25 minutes of its preparation.
Applying the Grout:
Fill the joints with the Ultracolor Plus mix using a special MAPEI grout float or rubber squeegee, without leaving any gaps or steps. Remove any excess of Ultracolor Plus from the surface, by moving the float diagonally to the joints while the mix is still fresh.
When the mix loses its plasticity and becomes opaque, which usually takes place after 15-30 minutes, clean off the excess Ultracolor Plus with a hard, damp sponge (e.g. a MAPEI sponge), working in a diagonal direction to the joints. Rinse the sponge frequently, using two different containers of water: one to remove the excess mix from the sponge, and the other, containing clean water, to rinse the sponge. This operation may also be carried out with a machine with a sponge belt or rotating disc. When the mix is partially set, after 50-60 minutes, a damp Scotch-Brite® sponge or an abrasive felt disc may be passed over the joints to even out the surface. If the cleaning operation is carried out too soon (the mix is still too wet), some of the mix may be removed from the joints. If grouting is carried out in extremely hot, dry or windy weather, we recommend that dampen the joints filled with Ultracolor Plus are dampened after a few hours. Damp curing of Ultracolor Plus improves its final characteristics in all cases. Final cleaning of the powdery film of Ultracolor Plus from the surface may be carried out with a clean, dry cloth. After the final cleaning operation, if the surface still has traces of Ultracolor Plus due to incorrect application, it may be cleaned down with an acidic cleaner (e.g. Keranet), by following the relevant instructions, at least 24 hours after grouting the joints. Only use Keranet on surfaces which are resistant to acid, and never use it on marble or limestone material.